After the high of a workshop where you’ve learned all these new ideas, there often comes a feeling of let down. Many of my clients tell me that when they first learned of law of attraction they felt that exalted and excited, eager to begin applying all they just learned feeling. Then a few days later they start to be aware of some feelings of disappointment, let-down, pessimism, and frustration. There is even a term for it. It is called ‘workshop burnout’.
We are so used to giving up our power, that when someone says to us, “You are all powerful and you can have, be, or do anything you want,” we are struck dumb with confusion. Many of us just can’t figure out what we want or what to ask for. I’ve seen people respond with inertia and retreat. Has this happened to you?
Here are some of the initial feelings people may experience when they first learn of the law of attraction.
1. Overwhelm: You’ve just experienced a major paradigm shift and your world had been turned upside down. It suddenly seems nothing you thought, or were taught, is true. Sometimes this is too much and so although the idea of law of attraction sounds good, overwhelm can make people chose to abandon the idea altogether.
2. Intimidation: Intimidation occurs as sort of a panic response when one realizes how powerful and free they really are. That much power is intimidating, even when it is you, yourself. Perhaps, especially when it’s you. This requires a substantial shift from the ‘unworthy sinner’ point of view. We all consider ourselves to be average, normal people. To find out that we are magnificently creative, wondrous, powerful beings can be quite a shock. It is as if our light is too bright for our eyes, so we shut them tightly against what we now know to be true.
3. Depression: Some people feel depressed at this knowledge. Many people give voice to regret for having lived however long without knowing this and, consequently, feeling that time has been wasted. The point of power is now, and now is a perfect time to begin consciously creating your future.
4. Self recrimination: A genie has appeared in your life and said you can be, do or have anything you want – and you don’t know what you want. The best answer you can come up with is, “Umm . . . ?,” So, you feel stupid. We’ve been taught NOT to want for so long that now we don’t know what we really want or what would make us happy. These feelings are common, and one reason why people resist the idea that we create our own reality.
5. Fear and Paralysis: As soon as people accept the idea that they create reality by their thoughts, they often, immediately step into fear and remind themselves, “Be careful what you ask for”. They don’t let themselves think another thought without worrying about the manifestation of it. Not every thought manifests right away, and we know we create by our dominant vibration, not our momentary vibe. Our manifesting is eternal: if we created something we don’t want, and we all certainly have, we can create something new.
6. Bafflement: How does it all work? Knowing that the mechanics of it are based in theoretical quantum physics, many people immediately decide that the physics is too complicated for them to understand. And they feel that they can’t use it if they don’t understand it. Reminder: you can drive your car without understanding how the engine works, and you are able to turn on a light without understanding the science behind how electricity flows. Law of attraction is the same. We can use it without knowing the mechanics of it. Many authors, movies, TV shows are incorporating these ideas and putting them within the grasp of even little kids.
7. Resistance: This can’t be true because I haven’t heard it before. “It’s not in the Bible.” Well, actually there are many references to the law of attraction in the Bible, but everyone’s understanding of it is colored by their interpretation of it.
8. Anger: Why didn’t my church tell me this? Why didn’t I learn it in school? Why not my mom or dad? If this is true, why didn’t I know it?
9. Frustration: It works for her, or it works for him, or it works for everyone else but me. I’m too – you can fill in the blank with any limiting belief here – ugly, short, stupid, old, female; whatever you use as an excuse to yourself – for this to work for me. Or, “I’m too dumb to learn how to use it.” Law of attraction works all the time, for all beings, just like gravity. Animals use it just by forming preference. It works consistently, all the time, for everyone. You are not so special that it doesn’t work for you, too.
10. Confusion: So I‘ve got all this new knowledge and so many new ideas for what I want to do, what do I do next? How do I do it? How do I really use this information and make it practical in my life? The workshop leader or motivational speaker has gone home; now what do I do? This is where a class, a group, or a manifestation coach can help you. You can learn exercises and processes specific to your situation and you will be supported and guided to make the changes you want easily and with joy. You will have a deeper understanding of how you created what you have now, so that you can create more consciously in the future.
You may know the story, or may even have told it, about the guy in jail for 20 years. He finally gets so tired of being there he decides to rush the guard and take his keys. He plans carefully and the next day, attacks the guard. He finds, to his shock, that the guard had no keys and the door was never locked. He probably had some of these same feelings.
Take it slow, be gentle with yourself. Thinking about what you want, and actually letting yourself believe you can have it, is like strengthening a long-atrophied muscle.
Copyright 2010 © Lorna Levy. All rights reserved.